Monday, November 1, 2010

A Month of Thanksgiving

And so begins November, the sight of the true holydays, a season of thanksgiving, a season of hope, a season of anticipation.  Thus begins the preparation.  Today, the preparation of our hearts, moments of gratitude, a spirit of thanksgiving.

Providentially, our month of gratitude began with the reminder that she (or he) who has been forgiven of much loves much, and a story of forgiveness.  In the one page of the book Philemon, there lies a heartfelt prayer of Paul to Philemon, a plea to forgive a man once his slave, Onesimus.  Regardless of how Onesimus wronged Philemon, Paul pleas with him to forgive him, to receive him back and not as his slave, but as a fellow brother in Christ. 


I am sending him back to you, sending my very heart. I would have been glad to keep him with me, in order that he might serve me on your behalf during my imprisonment for the gospel,  but I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own accord. For this perhaps is why he was parted from you for a while, that you might have him back forever, no longer as a slave but more than a slave, as a beloved brother—especially to me, but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord. So if you consider me your partner, receive him as you would receive me.  If he has wronged you at all, or owes you anything, charge that to my account. I, Paul, write this with my own hand: I will repay it—to say nothing of your owing me even your own self. Yes, brother, I want some benefit from you in the Lord. Refresh my heart in Christ.Confident of your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say." ~ Philemon 12-21

I think of Onesimus, and how broken he must have been, to be received by Philemon as a brother.  While we don't know what their reunion was like, Paul affirmed in his letter "I write to you , knowing that you will do even more than I say." For Onesimus to stand before Philemon, to understand the transformation that had occurred within his own heart, to be received as a brother, forgiven, perhaps even seated as a guest at Philemon's table.  Such a far cry from the slave and betrayer that he had been.

He who has been forgiven of much loves much.

Like Onesimus, I have betrayed the King (oh, haven't we all!) Each day I fall short, rob Him of what is rightfully His--all of me.  I steal moments thinking they belong to me when in reality, everything belongs to Him. My pride, my selfishness, my sense of entitlement, my sin. It is for these things that I am His enemy, and yet, He calls me His own.


But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! For if, when we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!  ~ Romans 5:8-10

Like Onesimus, once an enemy, I am now seated at His table.

By His grace I have been invited, by His grace I have been forgiven, by His grace I am a daughter of the King. Overwhelmed with joy, with peace, my heart is refreshed and love abounds.

For she who has been forgiven much, loves much.

This month we will prepare a feast of Thanksgiving, but truly the thing that stills my heart is the invitation I have received to the greatest feast.  And so I start this month of gratitude at the place we should always begin, at the foot of the cross.

Beginning today for at least the month of November, the girls and I are keeping a gratitude journal.  As we go, I'll share what we're thankful for. Straight from the mouths of this blessed mama, and a precious 3 year-old and 2-year old.

We're etching our lists on a new page.  Won't you join us as we prepare for the feast with hearts of gratitude?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails