Thursday, November 11, 2010

He chose our inheritance

There are two very runny toddler noses in our house and with them came a case of the grumpies, a dash of impatience, a sprinkle bucketful of whining.  With the anticipation of a weekend ahead full visits from old college friends and the wondering of whether or not we'll even be able to manage quick hugs and word or two, I harrumphed down at the kitchen table, head in hands and asked 

Really, Lord, runny noses today? Why not next week?

And softly He answered me through my dear friend Charles Spurgeon:

Some plants die if they have too much sunshine.  It may be that you are planted where you get only a little, you are put there by the loving Farmer, because only in that situation will you bring forth fruit to perfection.  Remember this, had any other condition been better for you than the one in which you are, divine love would have put you there. You are placed by God in the most suitable circumstances, and if you had to choose your lot, you would soon cry, "Lord, choose my inheritance for me, for by my self-will I am pierced through with many sorrows." Be content with such things as you have, since the Lord has ordered all things for your good.  Take up your own daily cross; it is the burden best suited for your shoulder, and will prove most effective to make you perfect in every good word and work to the glory of God. Down busy self, and proud impatience, it is not for you to choose, but for the Lord of Love!

In the grand scheme of eternity, a few runny noses and a thwarted visit with friends would not be significant except that the Lord of Love has deemed it so, making it a perfectly designed plan--for me.

"Trials must and will befall--
But with humble faith to see
Love inscribed upon them all;
This is happiness to me."

More often than not, my first reaction to disappointment is not "This is happiness for me" but perhaps, well indeed, this to is sanctification, making this life a tad less appealing so that ultimately, what I desire most is Him, for eternity. And so I remind myself,

Down busy self, and proud impatience, it is not for you to choose, but for the Lord of Love!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails