Monday, June 7, 2010

Soul Training


I've lingered on these profound words by JC Ryle over the last few weeks and pray that they are the focus in all I do as a mother...

Train with this thought continually before your eyes--that the soul of your child is the first thing to be considered. Precious, no doubt, are these little ones in your eyes; but if you love them, think often of their souls. No interest should weigh with you so much as their eternal interests. No part of them should be so dear to you as that part which will never die. The world, with all its glory, shall pass away; the hills shall melt; the heavens shall be wrapped together as a scroll; the sun shall cease to shine. But the spirit which dwells in those little creatures, whom you love so well, shall outlive them all...

This is the thought that should be uppermost on your mind in all you do for your children. In every step you take about them, in every plan, and scheme, and arrangement that concerns them, do not leave out that mighty question, 'How will this effect their souls?'


Soul love is the soul of all love...

yet it is so very hard when tears are falling, voices are whiny, sisters are struggling, laundry is piling, when this mama is so very weary.

And it becomes clear that I cannot care for the souls of my little ones, without caring first for the soil of my own heart....

My soul continually remembers it
and is bowed down within me.
But this I call to mind,
and therefore I have hope:

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.

“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
“therefore I will hope in him.”

The Lord is good to those who wait for him,
to the soul who seeks him.


~Lamentations 3:20-25



May you dear ones, seek Him first for the care of your own souls as you set upon the blessed and great task of tending and training the souls of your little ones...


2 comments:

  1. Yes, so true.

    And, we can not care for them alone,

    “Pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord. Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children” - Lamentations 2:19

    Thank you for sharing.
    ~Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I missed this until now, but I just wanted to thank you for sharing your heart. I am always blessed, inspired and challenged by the things you write!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails