Tuesday, May 11, 2010

All out of yeses...

Today is one of those days where I've run out of yeses.

My children heard:

"No let's not build a fort, the floors are dirty."

"No, don't put cheese in the bowl, let's leave it in the bag tonight." Even though she just wanted to help and was doing it the way we always do it but I just couldn't wash one. more. bowl. (Really, I couldn't put one more bowl in the dishwasher?)

"No extra story before bed, it's late." (Was it really?)

My husband heard:

Silence. Perhaps a sigh or two. No real words of encouragement or hope.

My Lord heard:

He's not enough. He can't possibly give me the strength. His grace is not sufficient. His power not made perfect in my weakness. I'm too weak.

Everyone heard:

"No. I have nothing left to give."

I ran out of yeses. And I read this and I wanted yell "good for you" (in a not-so-loving tone) and then I felt the hardness crack. And I stopped.

And I prayed cautiously, honestly not wanting to hear His answer, knowing His gentle rebuke would come.

And I read:

"I am with you alway."—Matthew 28:20.
T is well there is One who is ever the same, and who is ever with us. It is well there is one stable rock amidst the billows of the sea of life. O my soul, set not thine affections upon rusting, moth-eaten, decaying treasures, but set thine heart upon Him who abides for ever faithful to thee.


And:

"Only be thou strong and very courageous."—Joshua 1:7.
UR God's tender love for His servants makes Him concerned for the state of their inward feelings. He desires them to be of good courage. Some esteem it a small thing for a believer to be vexed with doubts and fears, but God thinks not so. From this text it is plain that our Master would not have us entangled with fears. He would have us without carefulness, without doubt, without cowardice. Our Master does not think so lightly of our unbelief as we do...Let your spirit be joyful in God your Saviour, the joy of the Lord shall be your strength, and no fiend of hell shall make headway against you: but cowardice throws down the banner. Moreover, labour is light to a man of cheerful spirit; and success waits upon cheerfulness. The man who toils, rejoicing in his God, believing with all his heart, has success guaranteed. He who sows in hope shall reap in joy; therefore, dear reader, "be thou strong, and very courageous."

Tonight, I will go to my Savior's feet, humbled at His mercy, in awe of His compassion. I will go to my husband's side and sow seeds of hope, speak words of grace rather than discourage with silence, and offer my help, however feeble I may think that to be.

And tomorrow, I'm going to say "yes." At least once or twice...

1 comment:

  1. I, too, read Elise's post and was convicted and refreshed to begin my day today with more yeses. Bless you, Karli, in this joyous and sanctifying task of mothering today! Thankfully we are covered by His grace.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails