Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Mediterranean 7 Layer Dip + a lesson

Within moments of my post yesterday on how God used Mediterranean 7 Layer Dip to begin a radical change in my heart, I had several requests for the recipe.  The requests made me laugh, but it is a worthy recipe to be shared.  Per your request dear friends...

Mediterranean 7 Layer Dip 
(adapted from Southern Living at Home)

Ingredients:

2, 15 oz cans of black beans (rinsed, drained, mashed) or 3ish cups of hummus (I always use hummus)
1/2 cup chopped tomato
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1/3 cup chopped olives (you can use black or Greek)
1/4 cup chopped green onions (I only use the green )
2 TBS olive oil
1 tsp Greek Seasoning
1, 4 oz package of tomato basil feta (regular works fine too!)

In a pie plate or 9 inch square dish:

Spread hummus or mashed beans in the bottom of the pan. Mix the tomatoes and next 5 ingredients (I add some minced garlic as well) in a separate bowl. Spread over the beans. Top with feta. Serve with pita chips.
 
This recipe is so easy to make a large batch in a 9 x 13. And honestly, I never measure: some tomatoes, some cucumbers, some olives, etc, etc.

And as for the Greek Seasoning. I laughed out loud when I realized that my life was turned upside down over a TEASPOON!  If you aren't quite ready for dramatic change, although it is highly encouraged, below is the recipe for homemade Greek Seasoning:

Greek Seasoning 
(store remaining for up to 6 months)
 
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried mint
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram (I don't think I have ever had marjoram or used it in this recipe)
1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic




1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails