Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Deep End...

The women at our church are reading Practical Theology for Women: How Knowing God Makes a Difference in Our Daily Lives by Wendy Alsup. We just received our books this week and my goal was to read the preface--but I can't stop reading. I'm sure that there will be more posts to come as I read through this totally accessible, 147-page book with the cutest cover, but I could not, not share my favorite things so far:

First of all, don't be disinterested or overwhelmed because of the title, mainly the word "theology." If you were, promise me you'll get the book.

Just to help, the word theology is defined as "the study of the nature of God..." And if we love Him as we say we do, shouldn't we want to know Him more, to understand His nature?

If we don't, then we must humbly question our hearts and pray that God would give us "a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, having the eyes of [our] hearts enlightened, that [we] may know what is the hope to which he has called us..." (Ephesians 1:17-18b)

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praises endure forever!
Psalm 111:10

As Alsup summarizes, "It is obvious from [scripture] that wise, practical daily living is preceeded by a knowledge of God that leads to fear, awe, and reverence of him, his power, and his purposes. In other words, theology is the root, foundation, and framework for practical living that reflects wisdom and understanding."

Further into the first chapter entitled "Why Should I Care," Alsup says the following which stirred my soul, "Don't be content with the Christian desk calendar approach to Christianity. Don't be satisfied with a daily practical saying or some three-step process for being a good wife or a better friend. God has both called you and equipped you to know him. We have no excuse to remain ignorant of his character. Seek God's face. Understand his character. Pursue knowledge of him, for apart from the 'fear of the Lord' and 'the knowledge of the Holy One' (Proverbs 9:10) we have no hope for being a wise mother, sister, wife or friend."

So my prayer as I go through this book is that my thirst for knowing God would increase and that nothing apart from him would bring me joy. That I would passionately desire to spend time with the One I claim to love most. That He alone would be my delight and my satisfaction and that in pursuit of the "deeper" things I would not compromise, or be lazy, or prideful, or anything that might keep me from diving into the depths of living water. Won't you swim with me?

O God, you are my God;
earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
as in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.
Psalm 6 3 : 1

But this I call to mind,
and therefore I have hope:
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.

The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
therefore I will hope in him.”

The Lord is good to those who wait for him,
to the soul who seeks him.

Lamentations 2:21-25

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails